He was born near Blairsville on Jan. 17, 1936. His family moved to Alabama in the Birmingham area when he was a child. He attended Berry School and then Berry College, leaving in 1955 to attend Jacksonville College in Alabama, graduating in 1957 with a degree in music education. Following graduation, Jerry taught in Brunswick at Jane Macon Junior High as the choral director.
He also worked part-time at Sea Island Florist and was the choir director at Brunswick First Presbyterian Church.
In 1978, he moved to St. Marys to manage The Fourth Colony, a restaurant located in the historic district. He began teaching fourth-grade science at St. Marys Elementary School in 1981, retiring in 1998. He was highly respected by his students and co-workers, instilling in his students a love of science through his creative teaching.
Jerry was choir director at First Presbyterian Church in St. Marys from 1981 to 2001. He also worked part time for Gilman Paper Company at White Oak Plantation when they were entertaining guests. He later moved back to the Brunswick area, living on St. Simons Island, where he had many friends.
Survivors include his nephew and family, Ray and Linda Landrum and children Lydia and Harrison of Smyrna, Tenn.; his caretaker, Joan Thompson; and his beloved dog, Sandi.
Jerry loved animals, nature, antiques and cooking. He was talented in many areas, possessing a fine Irish tenor, which he shared with the communities where he lived, often performing in choral groups and choirs. He also was a master gardener with a green thumb. He was a wonderful friend, always helping others as his health permitted.
At his request, there will be no memorial service. His ashes will be scattered in the ocean at a later date.
Memorials may be sent to his favorite charity: Humane Society of Camden County, P.O. Box 1270, Kingsland, GA 31548.