Regional

Megan Arnold readies a food order for Norman Mizell at Callahan Country Kitchen.

Megan Arnold readies a food order for Norman Mizell at Callahan Country Kitchen.

Area businesses adapt to social distancing

Business owners adapt to changes brought about by the COVID-19 outbreak.  Absher’s Garage owners Brittany and Mark Absher have seen a steady stream of auto repair customers in recent weeks.  “It’s picked up,” Brittany Absher said.

Council mum on mayor’s request for workshop

Hilliard Mayor Floyd Vanzant’s request for a workshop was put on hold. The Hilliard Town Council discussed the agenda item during a telephone conference April 2.  The telephone conference was held in lieu of a public meeting as part of the state’s mandate that citizens stay home.
Callahan resident Bobby Llanes collects breakfast and lunch items from Bethany Low during a Nassau County School District meal distribution Friday morning near Amhurst Oaks subdivision.

Callahan resident Bobby Llanes collects breakfast and lunch items from Bethany Low during a Nassau County School District meal distribution Friday morning near Amhurst Oaks subdivision.

School delivery switches to campus meal distribution

Nassau County school officials changed a bus-delivery meal program to campus pick-up last week, citing staffing shortages.   Asst. Superintendent of Instruction Mark Durham issued a press release about the decision Friday afternoon.

New fast food option irks resident

The Callahan Town Council unanimously approved a site plan for a new Popeyes Louisiana Kitchen.  But not before hearing from a resident who wants a broader selection of restaurants in town.
FILE PHOTO

FILE PHOTO

Countywide emergency extended

The Nassau County Board of County Commissioners held a special meeting Wednesday to extend the countywide state of emergency for the next seven days.
NEWS-LEADER

NEWS-LEADER

DeSantis issues COVID-19 ‘Safer-at-Home’ order

Gov. Ron DeSantis signed an executive order Wednesday mandating that Florida’s 21 million residents stay in their homes through April 30 unless they’re seeking or providing essential services and activities. The order went into effect at 12:01 a.m.
A planned mixed-use development will soon move into western Nassau County.

A planned mixed-use development will soon move into western Nassau County.

Mitigation before expansion into western Nassau

Western Nassau may soon experience additional building activity.   New housing developments are already underway or scheduled for Yulee and west of I-95. Tributary is a planned mixed-use development that will  deliver 3,200 dwellings, as well as office, commercial and recreational space included.
Construction crews are following social distancing guidelines while building a hotel complex along Atlantic Avenue immediately west of Main Beach. Ron Flick, president of Compass Group, the company developing the property, said keeping workers separated hasn’t been a problem since construction is not a highly enclosed environment. JULIA ROBERTS/NEWS-LEADER

Construction crews are following social distancing guidelines while building a hotel complex along Atlantic Avenue immediately west of Main Beach. Ron Flick, president of Compass Group, the company developing the property, said keeping workers separated hasn’t been a problem since construction is not a highly enclosed environment. JULIA ROBERTS/NEWS-LEADER

Work goes on for the building business

While nearly every part of American life is being impacted by the coronavirus, construction in Fernandina Beach is moving ahead as much as possible, in spite of challenges that range from applying for permits to obtaining materials.
A graphic provided by the Florida Department of Health depicting the novel coronavirus.

A graphic provided by the Florida Department of Health depicting the novel coronavirus.

Latest COVID-19 numbers for Nassau County

Tuesday, March 31:  From Nassau County  Emergency Management: "As of 11:00 am, March 31, 2020, FDOH Nassau has received two new case reports of positive COVID-19 testing in Nassau residents. One case is a 24 year old male with no known contact to a confirmed case and no travel history.
Graphic posted on Facebook by Nassau County Emergency Management.

Graphic posted on Facebook by Nassau County Emergency Management.

Checkpoint established on I-95 southbound

According to a Facebook post from Nassau County Emergency Management: “The Governor has ordered a vehicle check on I-95 similar to what is being done on I-10 in the panhandle.